Makes about 1 cup of cheese for 18-20 small pieces of toast
1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight or for at least 2 hours
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon white miso paste
1 clove of garlic
Juice from 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt1 small 12-inch loaf of your favorite baguette or other type of bread (I used Trader Joe's sunflower seed mini loaf a.k.a. Judy's Lovestick)
1 cup cooked lentils (I used black beluga lentils)
Fresh herbs (Italian parsley, chives, etc) or other greens (micro greens, sprouts, spinach, etc)
- Blend the cashews and water in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Add the nutritional yeast, miso paste, garlic, lemon juice, and salt.
- Continue to blend everything together until smooth.
- Taste the mixture and adjust it to your liking by adding more nutritional yeast, miso paste, lemon juice, or salt.
- Transfer the mixture to an air-tight container and refrigerate for at least an hour to let it firm up to a thick and spreadable consistency.
- Turn your oven on to broil.
- Slice your bread into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- Spread a generous spoonful of cashew cheese on each slice of bread and place on a baking sheet.
- Broil for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned. Also, keep an eye on the edges of the bread and make sure that they don't get too dark.
- Remove from oven and top with a spoonful of lentils and chopped herbs or other greens. Press the toppings down into the cheese a bit so that they stay in place. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper, if desired.