Makes about a dozen
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
3 tablespoons water
1 8 oz. package of tempeh (I used Lightlife)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
2 green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
Oil, for frying
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ground flax seeds and water. Set aside.
- Mash the tempeh in a medium bowl with a fork.
- Add the flax seed mixture, bread crumbs, maple syrup, Sriracha sauce, green onions, and thyme. Combine well. Season the mixture with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into tablespoon-sized balls and set aside.
- Frying Option: Heat a thin layer of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the tempeh balls, gently turning every few minutes, until crispy and browned on all sides. Baking Option: Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Place the tempeh balls on a parchment-lined baking pan and mist them with cooking spray. Bake for 25 minutes, flipping every 5 minutes or so, until well browned on all sides.
You can omit the bread crumbs if you'd like to make these gluten-free (and don't have any gluten-free bread crumbs). And of course, you can increase or decrease the amount of Sriracha sauce to your liking. It’s not in the picture above, but I actually ended up eating these with more Sriracha sauce on top. They’re fabulous on their own, but I’ll take all the heat I can get! :)