Adapted from allrecipes.com
Makes 6 -8 muffins
1 ripe plantain, sliced and lightly fried in canola oil
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I used Trader Joe’s white whole wheat flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup almond or soy milk
1/4 cup maple syrup (or agave nectar)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Fry plantain slices in canola oil over medium heat on both sides until nicely browned. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin pan or line with paper liners.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in applesauce, milk, maple syrup, and canola oil.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly into your muffin pan. (I squeezed 8 muffins out of this recipe)
- Top each muffin with 1 to 2 plantain slices. You can leave the slices visible or cover them with more batter…take your pick!
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.