Makes about 16 small cakes
1 lb. firm tofu
4 green onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup black rice, cooked (or brown rice)
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
Oil for frying
- Using your hands, mash the tofu in large bowl.
- Finely chop the onions and bell pepper. Add them to the mashed tofu.
- Add in the cooked black rice, peanut butter, tamari, and sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. (if it feels dry and crumbly, add more peanut butter and sesame oil)
- Form into 1½ inch balls and flatten a little. (see photo)
- Fry in a thin layer of oil until browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
Also, if you're in San Francisco or are ever in San Francisco, check out Aardvark Books. They have an adorable resident cat that wanders the store and sleeps on their boxes of books. :)