Makes 6 empanadas
For the filling:
1 package of Gardein BBQ Shreds (their BBQ riblets would also work too)
1 cup of chopped kale (or your favorite veggies)
- Mix the BBQ shreds with the chopped kale in a bowl. Set aside.
For the dough:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup canola oil
Soy or almond milk, for brushing
- In a bowl, mix the flour, water, and oil together until a dough forms (the dough will feel very oily-- that's ok).
- Divide the dough into 6 even balls.
- Using your hands, flatten each ball into into circles about 1/4 inch in thickness and place on a baking sheet. (You can also roll each dough ball out using a rolling pin, but the dough is pretty soft and pliable, so this isn't really necessary)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 1-2 spoonfuls of the BBQ-kale filling on each dough circle.
- Fold dough over to form a semi-circle, leaving a small lip on the bottom layer.
- Using your index finger, fold the bottom layer over your other index finger to form a rope crimp (or just press the edge down with a fork to seal).
- Brush empanadas with soy or almond milk.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Admittedly, hamburger buns would've been waaaaaaaaaay easier. But look how pretty these are! Plus, everyone loves empanadas...they're the perfect on-the-go meal. You can basically make up any filling combo. How about some food fusion: samosa empandas? Emposas? Ok, now I'm just rambling...