4 teaspoons olive oil
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
5-6 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 (16-oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth (I used Not-Chick'n Bouillon Cubes)
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the bell pepper, onion and garlic and saute, stirring often, for about 15 minutes, until all the vegetables are soft and tender.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, vegetable broth, thyme, bay leaf, oregano and water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes. If the mixture becomes too thick, add a tablespoon or two of hot water to thin to desired consistency.
- Stir in the fresh cilantro and season with salt and pepper; discard the bay leaf.
- Serve over the hot rice.