I skim through a lot of food magazines looking for recipes to veganize. Some are pretty difficult and some are easy peasy, like this one that I saw in Rachael Ray's magazine. This dish is pretty quick to whip up with the help of store-bought vegan meatballs. I added some green olives for more Spanish flair. I also added kale because I think it's good practice to add kale to everything...except maybe ice cream.
Makes 4 servings
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 cup carrots, chopped
2 cans of diced tomatoes
2 cups of vegetable broth
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 bunch of kale, chopped
½ cup green olives, pitted
Homemade or store-bought vegan meatballs, pre-cooked (I used Nate's)
Salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the smoked paprika and carrots and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, and chickpeas. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens.
- Add the kale, olives, and meatballs and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, as needed.
If you're in a meatball-making mood, here's a round-up of some homemade vegan meatball recipes that look fabulous:
Brown Rice & Lentil Meatballs (from My Vegan Cookbook website)
Gluten-Free Meatballs (from The Gluten Free Vegan website)
Soy Meatballs (from the PETA website)
Grain & Nut Meatballs (from the VegNews website)