Dough for 1 single-crust pie (see recipe from previous post)
1/2 container of non-dairy Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
1 tablespoon almond milk
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
A handful of fresh basil, cut into ribbons
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced into strips
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 tomatoes (different colors and sizes), sliced
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the pie dough out into a circle or oval.
- Transfer the dough to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, almond milk, salt, and pepper. Stir in basil ribbons. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions and garlic for about 20-30 minutes until the onions are caramelized. Set aside.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the rolled out dough, leaving a small border.
- Add a layer of caramelized onions, followed by a layer of sliced tomatoes.
- Fold the edges of the dough over (as pictured above).
- Brush the dough with some olive oil or almond milk.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Since this kinda resembles a pizza, why not add some vegan sausage or seasoned tempeh?
- If you're not a fan of store-bought vegan cream cheese, you can try using some homemade cashew cheese or tofu pine nut cream.
- If you'd like to serve this as an appetizer, just cut out small circles of dough and use one tomato slice per piece...baby galettes!
- This is best eaten fresh out of the oven when the crust is still nice and flaky. I had some for lunch the next day and it was good, but not as good as it was the night before. :)