Makes 4 pieces
- Pre-made pizza dough (I used Whole Foods' refrigerated whole wheat dough…you can also make your own)
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped
- 4 vegan sausages (I used Tofurky Italian Sausages)
- Vegan pesto, store-bought or homemade (optional)
- Some tomato or marinara sauce
- Nutritional yeast
- Olive oil, for sautéing
- Chop kale into small pieces and sauté in olive oil (or steam) until wilted. Set aside and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. (or whatever the instructions on the package say)
- Divide pizza dough into 4 pieces.
- On a lightly floured surface, stretch each piece into flat rectangles.
- Spread a layer of pesto on each piece, followed by a layer of tomato or marinara sauce, a layer of kale, and a sprinkling of nutritional yeast.
- Place one sausage in the center of each piece.
- Bring the dough over the filling and seal edges. (It’s ok if they don’t seal completely…they’ll look rustic that way!)
- Transfer each piece (with the sealed side faced down) to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- I guess for a fancier look, I’ll chop the sausages into small pieces next time.
- This would also be great with vegan burger crumbles, Gimme Lean, seasoned tofu, tempeh, etc.
- If you’re a fan of vegan cheese, you can add some in for a more authentic Italian feeling.
This was pretty delicious. Lazy + hungry can sometimes be a dangerous combination for your wallet. A little bit of effort was required here, but everything came together in no time. Score 1 for the lazy person’s stromboli. :)