Recipe adapted from the Cooking with PETA cookbook
3 medium globe squash or zucchini (or 6 tiny ones)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup of crumbled tofu, tempeh, or vegan ground round (I used Gimme Lean Sausage)
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
¼ cup tomato sauce or marinara sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice squash in half and scoop out the pulp. Transfer the empty boats to a greased baking dish.
- Chop the squash pulp and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add onion and brown for 2-3 minutes.
- Add vegan ground round, chopped squash pulp, nutritional yeast, oregano, red chili pepper flakes, and tomato sauce. Sauté for 2-3 minutes more.
- Season with some salt and pepper.
- Add 1-2 spoonfuls of filling to each boat.
- Cover with with foil and bake for 30 minutes in a 375°F oven.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Next time, I’ll try sprinkling some breadcrumbs over the filling for an added crunch.
- I might add some finely chopped walnuts or pecans to the filling too.
- I guess I could’ve easily skipped the boat part and just sautéed all the ingredients together as a stir-fry, but where’s the fun in that? :)