|Lentil burrito with chipotle sauce|
Makes about 2 servings
1 tablespoon cooking oil of choice
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 large shallot, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup cooked brown lentils (I use Trader Joe's pre-cooked steamed lentils)
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
A handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half (or into quarters if they're big)
A handful of baby spinach, finely chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic, chopped shallot, oregano, fennel seeds, and chili powder. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add the cooked lentils and nutritional yeast. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and spinach. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
You can mash the lentils too. I like leaving them whole. Other possible add-ins: cumin, fresh cilantro, diced jalapeño, potatoes, leeks, hot sauce...I could go on. :)
The chipotle sauce pictured above is store-bought from Whole Foods. For a homemade version, you can try this vegan Creamy Chipotle Dressing from Vegetarian Times.
I've never used this filling on nachos, but now I'm thinking it's long overdue.